TwinTurbo.NET: Nissan 300ZX forum - Re: Re: Question on PTU
People Seeking Info

Subject Re: Re: Question on PTU

Posted by DEcosse on November 05, 2014 at 4:24 AM
  This message has been viewed 404 times.

In Reply To Re: Question on PTU posted by Unluky (MO) on October 31, 2014 at 03:05 PM

Message I have been chasing an erratic/ dead cylinder #5 issue - replaced the injector, no difference. The coils swapped around and tested for spark with a plug in end of the stick (which looked OK).
I began to wonder if the spark, although good with plug at atmosphere, was not adequate when under compression.
Looking at the values across the PTU I found that the circuit for #5 had radically different, much lower, resistance values (although not completely short). Too much of coincidence to have cylinder 5 be the problem one and the readings for PTU #5 be very odd compared to the others. I am awaiting replacement PTU to validate.
Meanwhile you can see what you get you measure your own:
[ http://ww2.justanswer.com/uploads/FixUrNissan/2010-10-20_235951_94_300z_power_transistor.jpg ]
That graphic might be a little confusing - the test point with numbers in circles are not the actual pin numbers but the references for different pin ID's on the connetcors
i.e. there is only one terminal for 3 (circled) but 6 each for 2 (circled) and 1 (circled); if you measure from 'a' (2 circled) to '6' (1 circled) those are part of the same transistor drive - and so on b to 5; c to 4; e to 3; f to 2; g to 1.

For mine I found the biggest disparity on #5 from d to 5 - this was approx 120 Kohms in either polarity vs the others which were all high Mohms

Incidentally mine is a type 2, not original type 1

Will update once is swapped out, but you can test your in meantime

Follow Ups  

Post a
Followup

You cannot reply to this message because you are not logged in.